Understanding the benefits of medical tourism in India
India is a country that is known for many things. India’s culture is very famous throughout the world. It is also known as the country, which has supposedly popularised and practised meditation. Home to one of the earliest civilizations in the world, India is also a fast growing economy in today’s market. There is another thing for which India is increasingly becoming popular these days and that is medical tourism.
The idea of medical tourism in India is nothing but travelling to India in order for some health related treatment, and then, before coming back, taking a quick look at the local sightseeing places. The most popular cities in India in respect to this field are Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata, etc. All these cities have their own areas of tourist attraction as well as treatment facilities, which make them ideal for medical tourism.
There are both advantages as well as disadvantages when it comes to medical tourism in India.
A few advantages
Let’s take a look at some of the advantages of medical tourism in India:
- Medical tourism in India is extremely cost-effective. The treatments come at much cheaper rates than most of the other countries in the world.
- Good medical treatment technology is already available in India since a number of important medical experiments are carried out here from time to time.
- India has a number of good doctors who are not only well trained but also come with international recognition. They are skilled as well as experienced, which fosters a different sense of confidence amongst the patients.
- There is no problem in terms of communication. English is spoken at all the healthcare facilities, and hence, a patient will never face any problem when it comes communicating their symptoms. Expert translators are also available who are there to help out in extreme cases.
- There have been instances where patients in countries like the UK and the USA have been advised to either pay a huge sum of money or wait for their turn for a simple operation like a heart bypass, as per their rules. In such cases, people have flown down to India and treated themselves since there is no concept of a waitlist here.
Brief look at the disadvantages
When it comes to medical tourism India there are a few disadvantages as well:
- The main problem occurs because foreign patients are not well attuned to the legal system here, and hence, misdiagnosis and then getting the malpractice insurance coverage becomes a huge hassle.
- Depending on the type of operation, people have to sometimes prolong their stay and arrange for accommodations outside the hospital, which increases the overall cost.
- If a person is coming down to India or any country for that matter, for a medical treatment, then it is always advisable to have someone accompanying them. This increases the travel cost, and hence, one has to pay a lot more on flight tickets than the resulting treatment!
Though there are quite a few general disadvantages, yet the fact that India is a booming centre for medical tourism proves the fact that the advantages triumphs the disadvantages. So, if you are looking for some quick, cost-effective and wholesome medical care, come to India!